Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Canterbury Tales (1)

   What stood out most to me while I was reading the prologue was how ironic each character was. Like the nun who was trying to be "perfect" and the absolutely disgusting chef. When I first read it, I thought that it was absolutely useless that Chaucer wasted him time describing each one of these characters, and I honestly didn't want to spend my time reading it. But it class, we were able to unravel that he was writing to the commoners to show to them that they weren't the only ones thinking these people were insane and ironic. Also in class, we were not sure if Chaucer did take this pilgrimage himself, and I can confirm that he indeed did. My question though, is how did all these strange people come together and decide to take a pilgrimage?

No comments:

Post a Comment